Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 9 minutes | Serves 6
½ cup all-purpose flour*
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs*
1 large eggplant
8 ounces mozzarella cheese (aged or firm, not fresh)
olive oil, in a spray bottle
grated Parmesan cheese
1 (14-ounce) jar marinara sauce
1. Create a dredging station with three shallow dishes. Place the flour in the first shallow dish and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put the eggs in the second shallow dish. Place the breadcrumbs in the third shallow dish.
2. Peel the eggplant and then slice it vertically into long ½-inch thick slices. Slice the mozzarella cheese into ½-
inch thick slices and make a mozzarella sandwich, using the eggplant as the bread. Slice the eggplant mozzarella sandwiches into rectangular strips about 1-inch by 3½-inches.
3. Coat the eggplant strips carefully, holding the sandwich together with your fingers. Dredge with flour first, then dip them into the eggs, and finally place them into the breadcrumbs. Pat the crumbs onto the eggplant strips and then coat them in the egg and breadcrumbs one more time, pressing gently with your hands so the crumbs stick evenly.
4. Pre-heat the air fryer to 400°F.
5. Spray the eggplant fries on all sides with olive oil, and transfer one layer at a time to the air-fryer basket. Air fry in batches at 400°F for 9 minutes, turning and rotating halfway through the cooking time. Spray the eggplant strips with additional oil when you turn them over.
6. While the fries are cooking, gently warm the marinara sauce on the stovetop in a small saucepan.
7. Serve eggplant fries fresh out of the air fryer with a little Parmesan cheese grated on top and the warmed marinara sauce on the side.